I think they could spot me a mile away. For one thing, I was the only person wearing trousers in Fortnum’s trademark color, eau de nil.
Which, for you Yankees out there, is a lovely aquamarine color, literally translated as “water of the Nile.” (No, not the color of the Nile these days, but back when they found Moses in the bullrushes.)
Being from Ohio, I called my aquamarine trousers, “pants”, when a cute little bee landed on them. Only then was I informed that “pants” means something very different in the UK, and was something one shouldn’t be blabbing about in polite company!
Anyway, in true Midwestern fashion, I arrived unfashionably early (30 minutes!) for my 10:00 am meeting with Jonathan Miller, Fortnum’s sweet grocery buyer, to tour the rooftop bee hives. I was terrified of sleeping through my meeting, especially since my body clock said it was 5 am!!
I had plenty of time to view Fortnum’s Jubilee window decorations, including my favorite one – the honey display.
I also I had time for tea in Fortnum’s charming Fountain Restaurant. My tea was beautifully served from a silver teapot into a fine china teacup. I felt very pampered!!
When it was finally time for my meeting, Mr. Miller informed me that he had been summoned to Highgrove (!!), but that Fortnum’s charismatic Bee Master Steve Benbow was being filmed for a television show about London, and that I would be welcome to tag along.
Now tell me, what could be better than that?? (Here’s a hint…Steve Benbow took me for tea afterwards to answer my bee-related questions!!)
More on my tea with Steve later. For now, here are some pictures!!
- Questions For Fortnum’s (romancingthebee.com)
- Have Any Questions About Fortnum’s Bees? (romancingthebee.com)
- A Dream Come True (romancingthebee.com)
- My Hop Across The Pond (romancingthebee.com)
- Looking For Suggestions For London (romancingthebee.com)
- Tea at Fortnum and Mason (foodiefrolics.wordpress.com)
- Fortnum & Mason launches a new selection of perfect picnics (shinesquad.me)
- Simon Carter at Fortnum and Masons (aizakbuyondo.com)
- My Oz…. (britishathart.wordpress.com)