Proud Of My Honey

Well, my honey extraction is completed!  Now it’s time for me to clean up the stickiness!!

One of my readers asked about my extracting set-up. A picture is worth a thousand words.

The big silver thing is the centrifugal extractor.  The honey then goes through two mesh strainers and comes out into the bottling tub.  From there, I pour it into bottles straight from the dish washer.

Some people extract their honey in a garage or a basement, but that seems too un-hygienic to me.

Even though honey comes from outside and all, I like to keep things squeaky clean after it comes indoors. Hey, I’m a Virgo!

Hygiene aside, what I’m most proud of about my honey is that I don’t treat my bees with anything. The honey is completely organic. I don’t think there are very many beekeepers around who can make that claim.

But enough bragging. Here are my bottles, glowing and finished!

The Noble Bayard Nods His Approval

40 thoughts on “Proud Of My Honey

1. Amy says:

Beautiful!

2. anniespickns says:

It’s beautiful and tasty too, I’m sure. Congratulations!

3. katiepede says:

This is an amazing collection of honey… x

4. Looks so Sweet and Yummy! Good batch ENJOY!

5. I love how light looks glowing through a jar of honey! Lovely!

6. solarbeez says:

“…I don’t treat my bees with anything.”
    That is really something to be proud of…not many beekeepers can say that. Kudos to you!!!

7. bigsmileu1 says:

Thank you for posting with pictures. I was wondering how you took the honey from honeycomb to bottle. Beautiful honey! :)

8. ribana12 says:

Looks so yummy….i never use sugar, only honey…:)

9. Wonderful to see a part of the process and those jars look divine, but thats a lot of honey, how long did they take to produce all that?

10. oceannah says:

Lovely. You are wise to cover everything in plastic. Our first time extracting honey we merely put plastic under the extractor, which was a start, but the whole room and the 3 year old were a licky-sticky mess!
    *anna

11. Liquid gold! I learn so much from reading your blog, Deborah, and appreciate the joy you seem to have of your hives.

12. Such hardworking girls you have. Where did you get your extractor, and does it work for medium frames (english garden hive sized)?

• I got my extractor from Bee-Commerce, but they also have them at Brushy Mountain, Walter Kelley and other big suppliers.
      Yes, it works for all size frames. Most of mine are garden hive sized.
      It’s a manual extractor, so it’s also like a gym membership! :-)

13. maria says:

I am a Virgo also, and I feel the same way :) The honey looks delicious Deborah :)
    m.

14. Wow! I’m with you, Deborah–I always err on the side of cleanliness. What a project. You certainly have good cause for pride. I raise my organic honey bear jar to you! :-)

15. P&B says:

Very impressive. I hope I can reach to your level one day.

16. [...] Proud Of My Honey (romancingthebee.com) [...]