The Five Plants Bees Love Best

Featured Image -- 10340

Deborah DeLong:

This is a very popular post and many of you have requested seeds this year. I’ve restocked and will be happy to fill any and all orders!!

Originally posted on Romancing the Bee:

Okay, I’ve accepted that all of you aren’t going to become beekeepers, despite my best efforts to persuade you to don a beesuit and pick up a smoker and a hive tool.

Some of you are allergic.  Some of you just can’t understand how I can enjoy playing with critters that sometimes sting me. Beekeeping isn’t  for everyone, and that’s okay.

So is there anything you can do to help save the bees? Absolutely!

As most of you know, bees collect nectar and pollen from plants for food. They make honey from the nectar. Pollen is their sole protein source (honey bees are vegetarians) and they use it to make food for their young.

Some plants have more nectar and pollen than others. According to  Dr. Vetaley Stashenko, an apiculturist, naturopath and apitherapist, the five top plants to support the honeybees with nectar and pollen throughout the season are Borage…

View original 464 more words

14 thoughts on “The Five Plants Bees Love Best

1. Julie Gabel says:

Are you selling the seeds this year or is this just from a previous post.  If you are selling the seeds I would like to purchase them.   Thanks!   Julie

________________________________

2. Elizabeth says:

Is it possible to get just the three purple ones?

3. Becca Smith says:

How do we order seeds?

4. Kim Lockwood says:

Hi Deborah: You have a great site. We are urban apiarists in Wichita, KS. Is your offer of the seeds still available? If it is, how can I receive the seeds you offered? Do you have a Paypal account for me to pay you?

By the way, one of our hives is part of the NASA HoneyBeeNet research project. If interested, you can see an early photo of our first hive on the NASA site. The link is: Honeybeenet.gsfc.nasa.gov. At the site, click on the “net scale hives” button and then the “scale hive sites” button and then the Wichita, KS button.

Again, I love your blog/site. Thank you for the great work you are doing. Warmest regards, Kim.

• Thanks so much! That’s great about your NASA hive!! I’ll check it out!

I do have lots of seeds. Tell me how many collections you want, send me your address and a check for $10 per collection. I’m using the low-tech honor system. :)

Good luck with your hives this season!!

Deborah

5. Rachel says:

I’ve been slowly but surely working on our little garden, and have finally managed to clear a huge old brash pile. Because it’s been there a long time the soil underneath is wonderful, so I have created a new ‘wildlife’ area – a habitat pile/dead hedge from some of the brash and a new ‘cottage garden’ with plenty of bee friendly plants. Within moments of planting one of the scabious we had a bee clambering all over it :)

6. Susan Joyce says:

missing your blog it was my favourite

7. Amy Cajamarca says:

I would love to purchase some seeds! Please let me know how!

8. Thanks for this post Deborah. We’re looking at buying a house and I may have my first garden. I’ll be looking at planting all the plants bees love best.